POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 3.01 compiled for Pentium 2 available : Re: Pov 3.01 compiled for Pentium 2 available Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov 3.01 compiled for Pentium 2 available
From: Peter Popov
Date: 20 Aug 1998 00:15:22
Message: <35db94ca.0@news.povray.org>

>ohhh... that's bad. Are you sure that nothing else was running at
>the same time? That's pretty weird... anyway, you're the first to
>tell me that it slowed down, because everybody that tried it reported
>speedups, not slowdowns.

And I will be the second one. A julia fractal rendered 103% slower with the
*Pentium II* optimised version on my K6/200. I guess the conslusions are:

1. In the optimised version, all math is float (faster than int on P2,
slower on K6)
2. FPU operations are optimised for 2 floating point conveyors (K6 only has
one)
3. I'll stick to my K6 until I can afford a P2 (in a year maybe) and will
silently weep in a corner until then

BTW, in defense of AMD, a mandelbrot program a friend wrote in assembler and
manually optimised for the K6 was ~17% faster on AMD than Intel... Guess it
says it all about K6's RISC core and integer operations speed.